About Me

My photo
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
I am married to my loving husband for more than 40 years now. I am a mother to 3 beautiful children, until years ago when I lost my youngest son. Since then my life is forever altered but yet unbroken....

My Travel Journal

"There isn't much I haven't shared with you along the road and through it all there'd always be tomorrow's episode" - Elton John

I started traveling around the world since early 80s when I had the opportunity to combine business trips with vacations. Then later when my rezeki is in abundance, there were numerous other trips along the way for vacations, most of the time with hubby and the kids when the timing is right. I have also started to compile the journal and photo-pages covering almost more than 45 years of world wide travel. Some destinations I visited just once, others many times. Many of those places are the obvious famous places people would like to visit but some, the casual traveler doesn't even think to try. I have placed links to my travel at the side bar of my personal page, My Life Reflections, and will be updating them from time to time.

My wish is to continue my travel and complete circumnavigate the globe, insyaAllah…

Friday 27 April 2007

Nepal 2007: Kathmandu - The fabled and inaccessible Shangrila...

"Live your life and forget your age..."

27 April 2007
Day-1 : On the Hippie Trail

(Attraction around Durbar Square)

I joined the Puspanita group for a 10-day trip to Nepal. And dear hubby took time off from work and joined me together with Sara. Our flight supposed to be at 8.30 a.m. was postponed to 5 p.m. To while away the time we stayed in the departure area, listening to musics, and reading story books. I have my sudoku book with me to keep me busy.

(With Sara at the hotel lobby)

The 4-hour flight reached Tribhuvan International Airport at 11.30 p.m. Nepal’s time. We checked-in Vaishali Hotel at Thamel, a lively tourist area. We had late supper of chapatti and hot chocolate at the restaurant.Tonight, we slept like a log although the bar next door was playing loud funky music all night long.

(Souvenirs shopping in Thamel Street)

28 April 2007
Day-2 : Colorful scenes of Kathmandu

Today we walked along the Thamel streets. The shops were colourfully decorated. T-shirts, pashminas and cashmere shawls were sold cheaply. There were exotic collections of precious stones. Bargaining was highly encouraged here. We bought us lots of t-shirts and other things and later stopped at Shalimar Restaurant for a hearty beriani lunch.

(Nepal embroidered t-shirts)

After lunch, the rest went shopping. We walked along the Royal Palace back to our hotel. At the hotel we slept till 9 p.m. and later ordered room service of roti nan and vege curry.

29 April 2007
Day-3 : Exciting History and Culture


(Painting of little Nepal girls)

There are numerous historical monuments, old palaces, shrines and temples featuring ageless traditions and legends. The Kathmandu Valley boasts of seven UNESCO World Cultural Heritage Sites all within a radius of 20 Km. The birth place of Lord Buddha is in Lumbini. In the morning, we spent time visiting the two most important Buddhist stupas, Boudhanath and Swayambhunath.

(Snake charmers by the road side)

After lunch some wanted to go back to the hotel and rest, some continued shopping. The three of us took a trishaw to Durbar Square located at the heart of ancient Kathmandu. It is a complex of beutiful temples and shrine, both Hindu and Buddist. Most of them are built pagoda style with intricately carved exteriors. We visited a unique temple, where the entire structure contains no iron nails or supports and is made entirely of wood from a single tree.

(Buddhist Stupa and Shrine)

Kathmandu

Think I'm going to Kathmandu,
that's really, really where I'm going to.
If I ever get out of here,
that's what I'm gonna do.

I'm tired of looking at the TV news.
I'm tired of driving hard and paying dues.
I figure, I've got nothing to lose,
I'm tired of being blue.

That's why I'm going to Kathmandu,
up to the mountains where I'm going to.
If I ever get out of here,
that's what I'm gonna do.

(Bob Seger)

No comments: