About Me

My photo
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
I am married to my loving husband for more than 40 years now. I am a mother to 3 beautiful children, until years ago when I lost my youngest son. Since then my life is forever altered but yet unbroken....

My Travel Journal

"There isn't much I haven't shared with you along the road and through it all there'd always be tomorrow's episode" - Elton John

I started traveling around the world since early 80s when I had the opportunity to combine business trips with vacations. Then later when my rezeki is in abundance, there were numerous other trips along the way for vacations, most of the time with hubby and the kids when the timing is right. I have also started to compile the journal and photo-pages covering almost more than 45 years of world wide travel. Some destinations I visited just once, others many times. Many of those places are the obvious famous places people would like to visit but some, the casual traveler doesn't even think to try. I have placed links to my travel at the side bar of my personal page, My Life Reflections, and will be updating them from time to time.

My wish is to continue my travel and complete circumnavigate the globe, insyaAllah…

Saturday 14 April 2012

Bosnia/Croatia 2012: Sarajevo - Tunnel of hope...

Why are you trying so hard to fit in when you were born to stand out?..."

(An oil painting of Sarajevo)

Day 04; SARAJEVO CITY TOUR
14/04/2012 (Saturday)

After breakfast we started our tour of Sarajevo with a visit to the Tunnel of Hope, a tunnel dug by the people of Sarajevo when the city was under the 4-year siege by the Serbian army.

(Our local tour guide)
(The tunnel starts from a garage)
(A house, totally destroyed)
(Waiting in line to enter the narrow tunnel)
(A safe walkway to cross the bombarded town)
(Taking a peek of the tunnel of hope)
(Careful!.. Danger ahead)

Later we had a walking tour of Sarajevo in the drizzling rain and visited historical mosques including Masjid Gazi Husrevby, Masjid Ali Pasha, Masjid Czar’s, Masjid Bascarsija, Old Orthodox Church, Museum Icons, Town Hall, Bazaar and Copper Smith road.

(A typical street crowded with tourists)
(The grand clock tower)
(A fountain of cool spring water) 
(Inside the compund of Masjid Ghazi)

Sarajevo is the capital and the largest city in Bosnia. It is located in Sarajevo valley and surrounded by the Dinaric Alps and situated along Miljacka river. The city is famous for its various religious beliefs including Islam, Ortodox Christian, Catholic and Jews, co-existing for decades. Thus Sarajevo is also known as “Jerusalem of Europe” or “Jerusalem of Balkans”

(Taking a rest after the walking tour)
(The old camel stop, outside the covered bazaar)
(Colorful tram criss-crossing the city)
(The writing on the wall of the Synagogue)

After the city tour we broke off from the group and went for a little souvenir shopping then rested in the room until it was time for dinner. It was raining dogs and cats when we walked quite a distance away from our hotel to Restaurant Lovac situated behind the Cathedral. It was a 3-course dinner accompanied by live local and western music.

(Raw cabbage and tomato dish)
(Sweet pomegranate, a popular fruit in Bosnia)
(Ready for the road @ Astra Garni Hotel)

No comments: