About Me

My photo
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
I am married to my loving husband for more than 40 years now. I am a mother to 3 beautiful children, until years ago when I lost my youngest son. Since then my life is forever altered but yet unbroken....

My Travel Journal

"There isn't much I haven't shared with you along the road and through it all there'd always be tomorrow's episode" - Elton John

I started traveling around the world since early 80s when I had the opportunity to combine business trips with vacations. Then later when my rezeki is in abundance, there were numerous other trips along the way for vacations, most of the time with hubby and the kids when the timing is right. I have also started to compile the journal and photo-pages covering almost more than 45 years of world wide travel. Some destinations I visited just once, others many times. Many of those places are the obvious famous places people would like to visit but some, the casual traveler doesn't even think to try. I have placed links to my travel at the side bar of my personal page, My Life Reflections, and will be updating them from time to time.

My wish is to continue my travel and complete circumnavigate the globe, insyaAllah…

Tuesday 12 December 2023

Iraq - The Cradle of Civilization...

"Know thyself, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories..." - Sun Tzu

(City of Regent, Karbala)

We were overly excited and a little nervous when we decided to embark on this trip. Regardless of what people say about Iraq and its wars, it is actually a beautiful country with long-standing history, friendly locals and cultural diversity. It was a fascinating and enriching experience for us. And another tick-off from our bucket list. Alhamdulillah...

Iraq was home to ancient Mesopotamian peoples who developed the world's first writing, agriculture and cities. Powerful civilizations from the Sumerians to the Neo-Assyrians ruled the region. This wealthy region, comprising much of what is called the Fertile Crescent, later became a valuable part of larger imperial polities, including Persian, Greek, and Roman dynasties, and after the 7th century it became a central and integral part of the Islamic world. Iraq’s capital, Baghdad, became the capital of the Abbasid Caliphate in the 8th century. The modern nation-state of Iraq was created following World War I (1914–18) from the Ottoman provinces of Baghdad, Basrah, and Mosul. Iraq derives its name from the Arabic term used in the premodern period to describe a region that roughly corresponded to Mesopotamia, “Arabian Iraq” and modern northwestern Iran, “Persian Iraq”.

(Baghdad, Iraq - a mural on the wall)

The capital city Baghdad is the second largest city in the Arab world and the 4th largest in the Middle East. Iraq has several World Heritage Sites, dating back to ancient Mesopotamia, most notably is the Ancient City of Babylon. Religious tourism is the most popular type of tourism in Iraq, with tens of millions of tourists from several countries visiting Holy cities and places in Iraq every year. These include: Imam Ali Mosque in Najaf, with remains of Adam and Noah, according to Shi'ah belief and Imam Hussein Mosque in Karbala, with the tombs of Sayyidina Hussein, Sayyidina Abbas and the many syuhada’.


Iraq Itinerary:
Day 08: Baghdad Tour

(Isytar Gate of Babylon)
(Makam Nabi Zulkifli in Kifli)
(Masjid Sayyidina Hussein, Karbala)

No comments: