About Me

My photo
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
I am married to my loving husband for more than 40 years now. I am a mother to 3 beautiful children, until years ago when I lost my youngest son. Since then my life is forever altered but yet unbroken....

My Travel Journal

"There isn't much I haven't shared with you along the road and through it all there'd always be tomorrow's episode" - Elton John

I started traveling around the world since early 80s when I had the opportunity to combine business trips with vacations. Then later when my rezeki is in abundance, there were numerous other trips along the way for vacations, most of the time with hubby and the kids when the timing is right. I have also started to compile the journal and photo-pages covering almost more than 45 years of world wide travel. Some destinations I visited just once, others many times. Many of those places are the obvious famous places people would like to visit but some, the casual traveler doesn't even think to try. I have placed links to my travel at the side bar of my personal page, My Life Reflections, and will be updating them from time to time.

My wish is to continue my travel and complete circumnavigate the globe, insyaAllah…

Wednesday 28 December 2022

Day 14: Year-end Trip: Doi Inthanon - Mae Sot

 "Self-discipline begins with the mastery of your thoughts. If you don't control what you think, you can't control what you do..."

(On top of Bhumibol Dam)

Day 14: Wednesday, 28 December 2022

Route: Doi Inthanon to Mae Sot
Distance: 439km 7:02hrs
Hotel: Pin Yin Hotel, Mae Sot

We had breakfast in the room and started our journey early today. It was a long haul drive again today.

(We stayed here during Q4 2015)
(Rising sun and wild elephants)
(Feeling fresh in the morning)
(Busy traffic on Phahonyothin Road)

We drove out of Chom Thom towards Tak via Route 1 by-passing the town of Lampang. We took a rest break at a petrol station in Thoen. About 45 km before Tak, we made a detour to Bhumibol Dam, the highest in Thailand.

(Detour to King Bhumibol Dam before reaching Tak)
(The entrance to Bhumibol Dam)
(Four huge cement towers)

Bhumibol Dam is a concrete arch dam on the Ping River, a tributary of the Chao Phraya. The dam was built for water reservoir and hydroelectric power. The layered mountainous backdrop is spectacular when viewed from the top of the dam. There are accommodations, recreational areas, restaurants, a golf course, and even a stretch of sandy beach at the dam. We stayed for a while admiring the view and had some photo shots.

(The dam view from the viewpoint)
(Hiking free and easy on the dam crest)
(We were on top of the largest dam in Thailand)
(Stunning views of the dam)
(Boating and fishing activities at the dam)
(Beautiful garden near the dam crest)
(The beach of Bhumibol Dam)
(Man-made beach at the Ping River bank)
(A garden and recreation area open to public)

From the dam we drove to Tak to look for lunch but unfortunately all Muslim restaurants in our list were no longer in business. Even the small road leading to Masjid Al-Fattah was permanently closed.

(Driving on the curvy Route 12 to Mae Sot) 

We continued our journey to Mae Sot and checked in Pin Yin Hotel at B600/night. This hotel is formerly known as Arissa Homes, our favorite lodging in Mae Sot. After jamak prayers, we drove around town to look for Muslim restaurants but all had ceased operations except those around Masjid Nurun Isalam.

We had rice, chicken and beef curry for our early dinner at a Muslim restaurant in front of the mosque.

(Having dinner in front of Masjid Nurun Isalam)
(PinYin Hotel, formerly known as Arissa Homes)
(Spacious clean room)

No comments: