About Me

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
I am married to my loving husband for more than 45 years now. I am a mother to 3 beautiful children, until years ago when I lost my youngest son. Since then my life is forever altered but yet unbroken....

My Travel Journal

"There isn't much I haven't shared with you along the road and through it all there'd always be tomorrow's episode" - Elton John

I started traveling around the world since early 80s when I had the opportunity to combine business trips with vacations. Then later when my rezeki is in abundance, there were numerous other trips along the way for vacations, most of the time with hubby and the kids when the timing is right. I have also started to compile the journal and photo-pages covering almost more than 45 years of world wide travel. Some destinations I visited just once, others many times. Many of those places are the obvious famous places people would like to visit but some, the casual traveler doesn't even think to try. I have placed links to my travel at the side bar of my personal page, My Life Reflections, and will be updating them from time to time.

My wish is to continue my travel and complete circumnavigate the globe, insyaAllah…

Sunday 13 October 2024

Afghan 12: An evening in Kabul...

 "If you truly love nature, you will find beauty everywhere...” - Vincent van Gogh

(The gardens of Paghman)

Day 12: 15 October 2024 (Tuesday)
Route: KABUL City Tour
Hotel: Khyber Hotel, Kabul


We had a late buffet breakfast at the 5th floor dining room. By 9.30 am we started our visit to interesting places in Kabul.

This morning we drove up to Wazeer Khan Tepe in northern Kabul. It is named after the 19th century Afghan Emir Wazir Akbar Khan. It is one of the wealthiest parts of Kabul. Wazīr Akbar Khān was a Barakzai prince. His fame began with the 1837 Battle of Jamrud, while attempting to regain Afghanistan's second capital Peshawar from the Sikh Empire.

On the hill top, there is the world's biggest Afghan flag. Next to it is a replica of the Dome of the Rock mosque of Palestine. The new Molla Omer mosque was funded by the Istanbul-based IDDEF organization and inaugurated in 2023.

We planned to go to the Kabul Bazaar but it was too crowded for comfort. We decided to have lunch at one of the Mall and performed our prayers there.

On the way to Paghman we passed the Qargha Dam whuch was built in the 1930s mainly for irrigation and tourism purposes. The height of the dam is approximately 30 m Its length is 1.68 km and its width 600 m. A sluice gate of the dam which was damaged has since been restored. The reservoir water spread area behind the dam is 5,000 ha. It has since been a popular picnic location, particularly on the weekends and public holidays when it is visited by a large number of picnickers.

We had an evening walk in the beautiful garden of Paghman. The gardens of Paghman are a major tourist attraction, and why the city is also known as the garden capital of Afghanistan. We stayed on top of the hill absorbing the panoramic scenery while watching the sunset over the horizon.

On the way back to the hotel we stopped at one Pakistani Restaurant for roti phrata with chicken karahi for dinner.

No comments: