About Me

My photo
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
I am married to my loving husband for more than 40 years now. I am a mother to 3 beautiful children, until years ago when I lost my youngest son. Since then my life is forever altered but yet unbroken....

My Travel Journal

"There isn't much I haven't shared with you along the road and through it all there'd always be tomorrow's episode" - Elton John

I started traveling around the world since early 80s when I had the opportunity to combine business trips with vacations. Then later when my rezeki is in abundance, there were numerous other trips along the way for vacations, most of the time with hubby and the kids when the timing is right. I have also started to compile the journal and photo-pages covering almost more than 45 years of world wide travel. Some destinations I visited just once, others many times. Many of those places are the obvious famous places people would like to visit but some, the casual traveler doesn't even think to try. I have placed links to my travel at the side bar of my personal page, My Life Reflections, and will be updating them from time to time.

My wish is to continue my travel and complete circumnavigate the globe, insyaAllah…

Thursday 11 May 2006

Hungary 2006: Budapest - The City of Spas...

"A fool despises good counsel, but a wise man takes it to heart..." - Confucius

(Unique architecture heritage)

Today we drove through the enchanting countryside of western Hungary to Budapest, a city rich in traditions. Hungary is a landlocked country in central Europe. Hungary is bordering with seven countries, Austria, Croatia, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia and Ukraine.

Budapest is about 250 km from Vienna and the road trip took about 2.5 hours. Buda and Pest blend several centuries of architectural and cultural heritage with all the innovations thrown at it by modern life. Historic buildings and monuments are renovated and restored.

(The view of Buda and Pest)

The Castle District, the River Danube embankments and the whole of Andrássy út have been officially recognized as UNESCO World Heritage Sites. The Castle District in Buda is the ancient kernel of the capital's right-bank settlement.

(A viewpoint in the city) 

The whole area within the ramparts is protected as an ancient monument: the lines of the streets and the foundations and architectural remains of the buildings retain the atmosphere and memories of the medieval and eighteenth and nineteenth-century capital.

(Visiting the attractions around town)

A panoramic view of the whole city from the Fishermen’s Bastion is an absolute must! In Pest, the most important sight is Andrássy út. As far as Kodály Körönd both sides are lined with large shops and flats built close together. Between there and Heroes’ Square the houses are detached and altogether grander.

(The Police Headquarters)

Heroes’ Square is dominated by the Millenary Monument, with the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in front. To the sides are the Museum of Fine Arts and the Palace of Arts, and behind City Park opens out, with Vajdahunyad Castle on its own island in the little lake, and further off the Zoo.

(A rest in the garden)

There are many sights to be seen just from riding along the embankment of the River Danube, Pest side, the Matthias Church, the Fishermen’s Bastion, the Castle District, the Chain Bridge, Elizabeth Bridge, Gellért Hill, the Gellért Hotel and Baths. Just before the Lágymányosi Bridge the new National Theatre and Palace of Arts.

(A small chat with a local)

On the return journey there is the Corvinus University building, the Central Market Hall, the Vigadó Concert Hall, and the Gresham Palace and the Hungarian Academy of Sciences both on Roosevelt Square.

No comments: