About Me

My photo
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
I am married to my loving husband for more than 40 years now. I am a mother to 3 beautiful children, until years ago when I lost my youngest son. Since then my life is forever altered but yet unbroken....

My Travel Journal

"There isn't much I haven't shared with you along the road and through it all there'd always be tomorrow's episode" - Elton John

I started traveling around the world since early 80s when I had the opportunity to combine business trips with vacations. Then later when my rezeki is in abundance, there were numerous other trips along the way for vacations, most of the time with hubby and the kids when the timing is right. I have also started to compile the journal and photo-pages covering almost more than 45 years of world wide travel. Some destinations I visited just once, others many times. Many of those places are the obvious famous places people would like to visit but some, the casual traveler doesn't even think to try. I have placed links to my travel at the side bar of my personal page, My Life Reflections, and will be updating them from time to time.

My wish is to continue my travel and complete circumnavigate the globe, insyaAllah…

Wednesday 13 November 1996

South Africa 1996: Cape Town - The Cape of Good Hope...

"Life has no limitations, except the ones you make..." - Les Brown

Cape Town, South Africa
(13 - 15 November 1996)

Cape Town is about 1,400 km away so we took a direct flight from Johannesburg.

In Cape Town we visited a few attractions around town. The Cape Town city centre lies to the north of Table Mountain. The commercial centre, known as the City Bowl, takes in many of Cape Town's attractions. The Castle of Good Hope was built between 1666 and 1679 and is one of the oldest European structures in Southern Africa. The South African Museum is a good old-fashioned place, with cases and cases of stuffed animals and bloodthirsty dioramas of dinosaurs. Exhibitions of indigenous cultures include some startlingly lifelike displays of San communities. If you see only one museum in Cape Town make it the District Six Museum, a much simpler place dedicated to residents of this formerly vibrant community. 

The Victoria and Alfred Waterfront is to the north of the city centre. This area is pitched at tourists. It's atmospheric, interesting and packed with restaurants, bars, music venues, shops and a great aquarium. This area closes very late so head down anytime.

(A view point on Table Mountain)

The Table Mountain cableway is such an obvious and popular attraction. When it's clear, the views from the top are phenomenal and there are some excellent walks on the summit, especially in spring when the plants are flowering. The Kirstenbosch Botanic Gardens on the eastern side of Table Mountain are among the most beautiful in the world and are devoted almost exclusively to indigenous plants. A trip to Robben Island comes highly recommended: The island was a political prison until majority rule, and its most famous inmate was Nelson Mandela.

(The confluence of two oceans)
(A windy weather at the tip of the cape)

Like all South African cities, Cape Town is ambivalent mixture of European and African. But when it comes to being one of the most beautiful cities in the world, it is unequivocal. Even the transient visitor will appreciate this city, its mountains and the sea. Cape Town, South Africa's oldest settlement, is dominated by the kilometre high flat-topped Table Mountain and superb mountain walks, vineyards and beaches are all within easy reach. Despite an increase in street crime in recent years, Cape Town remains one of the most relaxed cities in Africa, which can instill a false sense of security.

With the assistance of a friend as a guide, we drove from Cape Town to Cape of Good Hope and spent a whole day there admiring the scenery and the view of the ocean.

(At the waterfront, the night before the bombing)
(A beautiful night view)

No comments: